Wednesday, February 6, 2008

I don't like Milan

I really do not like Milan! I have really tried, and there are nice parts, but it’s just not my cup of tea. I have never seen so many cars in my life. Contrary to Rome, if you try to cross the road in Milan, cars speed up! This goes for the trams as well. Only people with a death wish cross the road in Milan. Taxi drivers do not have a sense of humour. Waiters and Receptionists are rude. If I never return to Milan, it would be too soon (but I would like to go to Lake Como, I passed it on the train and it was beautiful)

I had a nice weekend though:
Saturday I toured the Duomo, which was impressive. I walked up to the Castello Sforzesco, where I did see the most incredibly interesting exhibit of body armour and weaponry from the 15th to 19th century. I also went to see a special exhibit on Leonardo’s study of the horse (!!) – is there no end to how ridiculous an exhibition can get?

For lunch I made it over to Brera, had Risotto Milanese, which was not very nice at all (as any good Swede, the taste of saffron gets me into the spirit of Christmas). I did do a bit of shopping, thinking I should pick up something cool and unusual. Found a fantastic pair of earrings and a bracelet…only to discover later that they are made in Norway. If anyone asks I will stick to the story that they are from a small shop in Milan!

Afternoon I spent people-watching. It was raining so I think the real fashionistas stayed at home because the people I was watching were all rather plain.
Unfortunately I had to work on Sunday so I stayed in with the exception for a power walk that brought me past IKEA. I almost went in for a plate of Swedish meatballs, but decided in the end not to be so sad.

No comments: