Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Can Kurt save us again?

Tonight I am attending my first seminar hosted by The Royal Geographical Society. It is a lecture by Gavin Menzies, author of 1421: The Year China Discovered the World. Tonight’s lecture is entitled 1434: The Chinese start the Renaissance, and presents some of the controversial findings from the author’s research into China’s influence on Europe.
I have to admit that I have yet to read the book. From the short excerpts I have read, and heavily simplified, I understand that Mr Menzies claims the Chinese invented…well, everything! They then decided not to brag about it, and just left it with us Europeans to run wild with.

I can’t help but get associations to STARGATE. You know the outstanding movie and tv-series that explains the pyramids, ancient Nordic mythology, alien abductions and why it is not good to be infected by worms?



The Chinese were obviously a bit like the Goul’d. They arrived in their big ships, with superior knowledge and technology. After messing around for a while they then left, with the only traces of their impact on human history (the pyramids or “all human inventions” as in the Chinese case) being heavily misinterpreted as symbols of our own ingenuity.
But now they are back!


Yes, I do realize that I am being silly, but today is silly Tuesday!

No comments: