If you find that a conversation is moving in a direction you're not entirely happy with, you can keep the advantage by using a technique I call deflection.
This is easier done on men as their response tend to be more predictable (apologies for generalising).
There are 4 deflection techniques that I frequently use:
1. Move the attention away from yourself by providing a worse example.
- So you've spent five years and thousands of pounds on a university degree to end up in a job you can get qualified for through a two-week course in Thailand?
- My barman is a Neuroscientist! (this is true, he is!)
2. Change the topic of conversation to one he could not possibly win.
- Marie, have you SEEN the credit card bill this month?
- Does this dress make me look fat? Be honest!
3. Use sex to make him lose focus.
- Marie, how many pairs of shoes have you bought this month?
- You know how you were saying that you'd like to me to get one of those slutty nurse's uniforms...
4. Run away
- We need to talk
-Wohoooo...there's my bus, gotta run!