Thursday, September 18, 2008

Hearing voices

Have you noticed how it’s become ok to talk to yourself in public? When I grew up, back when dinosaurs roamed, we used to laugh and point fingers at those crazy old men carrying on with their monologues. I can’t remember last time I saw one of those loonies. I don't think they have all gone away. I think it is more the case that we no longer react to this phenomenon as half of us are now walking around with a Bluetooth device stuck in our ear.

I only thought of this just now as my friend Snaskefar is going off his blog for a few days but says he intends to carry-on with an “oral live blog” instead. I asked him if the correct term for this isn’t just “talking”? The difference, it seems, is that when you are keeping up an “oral live blog”, you are not to be interrupted.

I was about to ask Snaskefar if there’s any chance he’s one of those nutcase monologue people…only to realise that if this is the case, no one will ever know!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nowadays we just assume that the person is talking into his or her handsfree and leave it at that.

Actually, I have a confession to make. Somehow I've picked up the habit of swearing out loud if I happen to think of anything embarrasing or annoying. It's fine if you are in private, but people have a tendency to assume that you are batshit crazy if you do it in public.

Marie said...

Try swearing in a foreign language for even greater effect!German's "SCHEISSE" or the SWEDISH "MEN FOER HELVETE" work for me. I'm under a constant threat of being taken away by the men in white coats!