Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Shampoo

I have been clearing out my bathroom cabinet, and I am shocked at the amount of cosmetics and toiletries I have acquired since moving to Hong Kong. It's even more shocking when you consider that I don't actually use more than 1/20 of it!

When I grew up, my mother would never spend money on brand name toiletries. Instead, my family got by on bulk size bottles of the supermarkets' own brands. I remember being embarrassed after each gym class when the rest of the girls took out their colourful branded bottles, while I stood there with an ugly bottle of Coop's finest. These things matter to a 12-year old girl.

A 31-year old is wise enough to know that there is very little difference between what my mother had me use as a child, and the bottles my hair dresser talks me into buying. Comparing the price, however, we are talking the difference between buying a used kayak and a Panamax vessel.

Having thrown out numerous bottles that never did any good for me, I am going to take another step closer to becoming my mother, and start buying shampoo in bulk size. I might even get some really pretty glass bottles to decanter the shampoo into. I saw some when I was in Venice. I wonder if the money I'll save on not buying expensive shampoo is enough to pay for a trip there? Yes, I think so!

No comments: